Unfortunately, there’s no specific answer to this question, as you’ll find out. Your location and the prevailing condition of your local real estate market, among other factors, are responsible for determining how long it’ll take you to sell your home.

After the first quarter of 2018, Zillow house listings took about 68 days on average to sell; in 2010 it was 140 days.

Homes Sales Statistics in the U.S.

  • Single family homes make up 80% of houses on sale; the remaining 20% are mobile homes (7%), triplexes and duplexes (2%), townhouses (7%), and condos (4%).
  • On average, a typical home measures 1,800 square feet, has 3 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, and costs about $200,000.

Your Market Determines How Fast Your House Sells

The national average for selling a house is 68 days, but the local market and property location determines how fast your house sells. For instance, houses in rural areas can take months longer on the market than those in suburban or urban areas.

Areas or Markets Where Homes Sell Fastest (data courtesy of Zillow)

  • San Jose, California (36 days)
  • Seattle, Washington (38 days)
  • San Francisco, California (38 days)
  • Provo, Utah (42 days)
  • Denver, Colorado (42 days)
  • Salt Lake City, Utah (42 days)
  • Ogden, Utah (43 days)
  • Olympia, Washington (44 days)
  • Portland, Oregon (45 days)

Milestones in Selling a House & How Long Each Takes

  • Listing and Showing a House – It takes 68 days on average to sell a house nationally. With a standard 30-day closing, your home is available for about 38 days before you accept an offer.
  • Accepting a Buyer’s Offer – Respond to offers as quickly as possible. Rules governing response times vary by contract, state, and the buyer. Typically, offers expire in 24, 48 or 72 hours after submission.
  • Home Inspection – After you accept a buyer’s offer, they have about 10 days to inspect your home. However, the duration varies based on the contract with the buyer. Inspection of the home can take a day or two to ensure the inspection report is ready. Buyers in fast-moving markets sometimes waive home inspection to increase the chance of their offer being accepted.
  • Post-Inspection Counteroffer – Buyers can request repairs after inspection, or make a new offer. The process can go on for up to 48 hours.
  • Closing – It can take 30 days on average to close on a house after agreeing on a price. It gives enough time to complete all the paperwork, including financing, title, and records. A buyer purchasing with cash can close faster. 

Want to sell your house but not sure where to begin? Contact us for help selling your house!

Team Couch